Update 3/21/2020: My how the turntables. This original post from a couple of years ago is something we eat a lot. The recipe is easy & quick. It’s delicious, super cheap, uses non perishable ingredients except for one (see below), and goes a long way – exactly what we need in times like these. It was originally for a fast (which, it’s not a bad time to do so now if you can) but it works for general hunger purposes.
Much has changed since this og post, but fear is not necessary – only hope and action. Do you have recipes you can share that are budget friendly, somewhat healthy and last for a while? Let’s share resources friends! It’s the only way to go! Drop it below!
Do you love cooking? Does it relax you? Is it your idea of a good time?
If you have answered “yes” to those, be my friend and come to my house and help me please ok thank you. Cooking has never been my jam. I really like the eating part – I’m not really here for all of the other stuff that comes before it. However, I like staying alive. And now that I am married, I have to help a whole ‘nother human stay alive, too. So somebody has got to make some food I guess.
If you’re like me and think cooking is mostly the worst, I’m here to help! If you’re the other brand of person – I suppose you can stick around, too. Last time I did a Daniel Fast, I found this recipe & it was a lifesaver. The following is a healthy, easy non perishable recipe (mostly) that has served us well, weather we were fasting or not.
What you’ll need:
Makes about 4 servings.
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 ½ cups instant brown rice
1 Onion (chopped)
(Edit: This is the only non perishable ingredient. I recommend grabbing a few onions, chopping them and freezing them for future use. Let them dry out a bit when you thaw them before throwing them in the skillet. You can always omit it as well).
1 (15 oz) can black beans (not drained)
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 tsp Dried oregano
1 lime (optional)
½ tsp Garlic Salt
Tabasco Sauce (This does not adhere to Daniel Fast guidelines, but I use it when I’m not fasting. You could sub your favorite form of pepper for fasting purposes.)
1. Make husband/roommate/friend/stranger chop onion (Onions are the worst to chop & they don’t want to see you cry, right?) Or just do it yourself I guess.
2. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion & saute until tender.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, oregano, garlic salt to pan – bring to boil.
4. Add Tabasco Sauce to your affinity for the hotness of it all. I’d say I usually add about 1 tbsp or more – but I like a kick. I just keep adding until the Holy Spirit says stop. Stir it on up.
5. Stir in brown rice. Cover & reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
7. Get you a bowl of it, squeeze a touch of lime over it if you’d like, and enjoy the goodness you have prepared.
You can always add other veggies (corn is really good). Or eat it with a warm tortilla (corn tortilla if your fasting) for some extra goodness or to make it stretch longer.
If you try it, send me an insta message or post a pic & tag me. Let me know what you think!
Have an easy, non perishable recipe to add? Drop it or a link below!!